SNC032-HW Officer, The Empress’s Dragoons, 1812
Further to the Imperial decree of 15 April 1806 another regiment of the Imperial Guard was formed, the dragoons. Officers were culled from the grenadiers a cheval and the chasseurs a cheval of the Guard, and each line dragoon regiment supplied a dozen of their best men to form the first two squadrons, the third squadron was composed of vtes, and other Guard units also supplied recruits. The two regular squadrons numbered 476 men while that of vtes counted 296 troopers, commanded by 60 officers in total, all mounted on chestnut bay horses. Soon after its creation, the regiment was presented by the Emperor Napoleon to his wife and renamed the Empresss Dragoons (Rment de Dragons de lImptrice).