39GG-02 Infantry Officer & Drummer, 39th NY Volunteer Inf Regt.
The 39th New York Infantry Regiment, known as the “Garibaldi Guard” after the Italian revolutionary, Giuseppe Garibaldi, was an infantry regiment that served in the Union Army during the American Civil War.
This regiment was mustered in New York city by the Union Defense Committee, under the leadership of Col. Frederick George D’Utassy by special authority from the war department during the civil war of the United States.
The 39th, the “Garibaldi Guard,” recruited in New York City, was composed of three Hungarian companies, three German, one Swiss, one Italian, one French, one Spanish and one Portuguese, most of whose members had already seen active service. It was mustered into the U. S. service at New York, May 28, 1861, for three years and left the state for Washington, D.C. on the same day. Camp Grinnell was established near Alexandria, Va., and occupied until July 17, when the 39th participated in the movement of the army toward Manassas with the 1st brigade, 5th division, though in the battle of Bull Run the regiment was only slightly engaged.