BAL-10 The Conestoga Wagon

$108.00

Description

The Conestoga wagon is a heavy, covered wagon that was used extensively during the late eighteenth century and the nineteenth century in the eastern United States and Canada. It was large enough to transport loads up to 6 tons. It was drawn by horses, mules, or oxen. It was designed to help keep its contents from moving about when in motion and to aid it in crossing rivers and streams, though it sometimes leaked unless caulked.

The term “Conestoga Wagon” refers specifically to this type of vehicle; it is not a generic term for “covered wagon”. The wagons used in the westward expansion of the United States were, for the most part, ordinary farm wagons fitted with canvas covers. A true Conestoga wagon was too heavy for use on the prairies.
The first known mention of a “Conestoga Wagon” was by James Logan on December 31, 1717 in his accounting log after purchasing it from James Hendricks. It was named after the “Conestoga River” or “Conestoga Township” in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and thought to have been introduced by Mennonite German settlers. The Brethren of Lancaster County, an offshoot sect of the Mennonites, said that there was a local Native American tribe called the Conestoga.
The left horse near the wagon was referred to as the wheel horse and was sometimes ridden. The Conestoga wagon began the custom of “driving” on the right-hand side of the road.

Horses are not included. Wagon comes packed with wheels separate and a pair of tweezers for assembly!