CS5V-09 Infantry Standing, 5th Virginia, Co. A, Marion Rifles
The 5th Virginia Infantry Regiment was an infantry regiment raised in Virginia for service in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War. It fought in the “Stonewall Brigade”, mostly with the army of Northern Virginia. The Regiment was known as the “Fighting Fifth”. The 5th Virginia Infantry Regiment was organized in May 1861 under Colonel Kenton Harper. Eight Companies were from Augusta County and two were from Frederick County.
Civil War regiments were usually made up of ten companies of about 50 men, each of which was designated by a letter between A and K (J not used). A regiment would be commanded by a Colonel and Lieutenant Colonel, and companies by captains.
Company A was raised in Frederick County, Virginia, and wore a grey frock coat, with solid black collar, and three horizontal bands of black braid around the cuffs, which were fastened by three small buttons. Trousers were also grey with a black seam stripe. Headgear consisted of plain black felt hats with a narrow brim.
Captain John H. S. Funk was the Company Commander.